Wednesday, October 1, 2014


Brush with Bacteria: Hairbrushes are worst household item for bug infestation by mirror.co.uk

     When you are either getting ready for the day, or going to bed brushing your hair has to be the least harmful thing you could think of. Well, in 2012 science showed that there are over 3,500 colonies of bacteria per square inch. This statistic was higher than both sink plug holes, and doggie bowls. After doing observations on 30 hair brushes used daily by women ages 16 to 24, the results were astonishing. Specialist Alison Southcombe stated that "if you take a look at the average hairbrush, it is often a pretty messy affair with a build u[ of hair and also hair styling products that may be months old." These bacteria aren't all bad, but some of them lead to irritation, allergy, as well as odors. 
     Now that I know this information, I am definitely going to clean my brush much more often. Brushing my hair is one of my favorite things to do, but knowing this information it makes it pretty unappealing. Something that brings up my concern is the fact that they only observed women ages 16-24. To me that is a very narrow spectrum. Starting at a younger age may make a difference because girls haven't gone through puberty yet, and don't have the same hormones as older women. Observing higher than 24 would be smart as well because people do different things with their hair at an older age. This article really interested me because brushing my hair is something I do multiple times a day, and it never crossed my mind that my hair brush could be effecting my scalp in more ways than one. 



http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/science/brush-with-bacteria-hairbrushes-are-worst-household-802580#ixzz3ExfqPIG6

1 comment:

  1. Woah..this is kinda gross! It's pretty interesting as well, not gonna lie. I do know that girls hairbrushes are usually pretty nasty looking, especially because they are always covered by about a million hairs. This fact makes your article very believable just because of how gross hairbrushes can be! I agree with your statement about testing older women's hairbrushes as well. I think either way, they will all be covered in microbes. I think that it's pretty awesome that you're going to clean yours a lot more now!
    I feel like I am going to look at girls heads now and think about all of the microbes crawling all over it.....
    I enjoyed reading your blog because it was pretty interesting and made me think!
    Do you think that if more girls were aware of this information, would they take better care of their hairbrushes?

    Nice Blog!

    Pierce Hoyer

    ReplyDelete